Thursday 25 June 2020


I started lockdown with good intentions, but I have found it tricky to keep my creative momentum going over the past 12 weeks. There have been bursts of creativity, but often that has been channelled into Toby, the garden, or making comforting things to eat. 


What I have been doing is running online art and animation workshops for TAPE , and I've made two 'How To...' films. One was for EDGE via MOSTYN and one was for World Ocean Day for Schools, a free online festival. 

Click on the images below for links to the films. 
Animating Water: 




Animating Nature: 




Lots of fun to make (especially the part where I made a sound booth out of bedsheets and coats to record myself talking in the coat cupboard...). 

I also created an illustration for an article written by stylist and eco-fashion activist Meg Pirie, about motherhood during lockdown - click the image to read. 





At the moment I'm working on a short animation for Imagine Colwyn Bay as part of their augmented reality app. It tells the story of some ancient stained glass windows that were found in a church in Mochdre, forming an important part of the area's history. It's intended as a collaborative animation between myself and attendees of the online workshops I've been running for TAPE. Here are some mini clips of what I've made so far: 







As ever, there are more ideas swirling around in my head that I can't quite catch just yet. Big ideas, little ideas, half formed ones, ones I've had for years and ones that pop into my head at random intervals. There are a couple of other unfinished projects I should be working on, too, which I won't describe here just yet because I'm so ashamed that I haven't touched them for a while! I just need to lever myself back into them, and hopefully get into a flow. The flow of time is such an important factor when you are making work, and time has moved in such a strange way during lockdown. I wonder if it will ever be the same again, afterwards. 

No comments: